UI/UX design is like oxygen to humans. While this term is commonly popular in the digital world, the UI and UX design concept entails a lot of misconceptions. This concept is more than making the application “visually appealing”. The term UI/UX (User Interface/ User Experience) design refers to designing digital products with a user-first approach. However, it is a common misconception that UI and UX are similar. Though they share several common features, they are separate disciplines focussing on different aspects of the user’s journey with a digital product. Before understanding the differences between the two concepts, this blog will help you to learn about UI and UX in detail. There you go!
UI Design – Concept, Features and Workflow
According to Martin LeBlac, CFO of a renowned application development company Iconfinder, “A User Interface is like a joke. If you have to explain it, it’s not that good.” In simpler words, a User Interface takes care of the app’s graphical layout including buttons, animations, transitions, screen layout, micro-interactions, and much more. Furthermore, UI design comprises more formats like:
Graphical User Interface (GUI): This type of interface deals with displaying the type of interaction users can experience with the visuals and the system’s digital control panel. The best example of GUI is a computer desktop.
Voice-controlled Interface (VUI): VUI is involved in handling the interaction between the user and system by leveraging the voice feature. The commonly popular examples of UI interaction design are the smart assistants of Samsung devices and iPhones – Bixby and Siri.
Gesture-based interface: This UI prototype is mostly used in the most sought-after technology Virtual Reality and related gesture-based design scenarios involving the engagement of end users within the 3D spaces.
Consider the following characteristics to have a better understanding of the UI design:
-Architect the design in such a way that the users can conveniently focus on completing their tasks in a hassle-free manner.
-The design should be enticing, fun and offer a seamless experience.
-Building the UI design that facilitates communication to enhance the brand value of the company/organization.
UX Design – Concept, Features and Workflow
UX design (User Experience design) involves analyzing and designing for the users’ interaction with the system. It also deals with logical navigation and ensuring an intuitive and smooth experience for the users. The design is not just assessing the aesthetic preferences and opinions thoughtfully driven by data analysis, research, and test results.
Following are the vital stages involved in the UX design process:
- Interaction Design: This segment takes care of the part where users can complete their tasks effortlessly by employing the system’s interactive components like animations, page transitions, buttons, and so on.
- User Research: User Research deals with conducting in-depth research, assembling feedback and ideas from customers, analyzing end-user needs, and leveraging the said parameters to make design decisions.
- Information Architecture: This component involves organizing the information and content in the most convenient way to facilitate the users in completing their tasks. The UX UI designer needs to understand the contrasting relationship between different sets of content and portray them in the most comprehensible way possible.
An ideal UX design should conduct the following practices:
-Ensuring that the product is easily logical, employable and self-explanatory.
-Designing the product in such a way that it solves every problem of the user.
-Making the product accessible and useful for a wide range of people.
-Architecting the product’s design in such a way that it imparts a positive experience to the end user while enabling them to complete their tasks in a hassle-free manner.
UI Vs UX Design
While UX and UI design are often used interchangeably, both concepts give different inputs and have diverse approaches to reach the end result. Whenever you avail of UI UX design services at Zazz, make sure that you are familiar with the following key difference in UI/UX development:
- Core focus area: The chief focus of UI designers is to manage the quality and visuals of the digital product while employing high-end models as prototypes. Whereas, the role of UX designers is more inclined towards logical thinking and taking care of the functionality and purpose of the app. In addition, UI designers are engrossed in the technicalities of the app’s design while UX designers deal with project management and detailed analysis of the application.
- Use of Color: The design prototypes in UI design are weaved in all colors whereas the UX design mostly encompasses black, gray and white.
- Employing tools: UI designers employ tools like Flinto, Sketch, InVision and Principle for collaborative image designing. UX designers leverage the power of Mockplus – a robust wireframe-based prototyping tool.
- Artistic element: The artistic angle plays a major role in UI designing as it is related to what the end user gets to see, hear and feel. Thus, the aesthetics should be on point. In the case of UX design, it works on deeply assessing the needs of the user by analyzing their behavior and patterns.
|Wireframe & Prototype||–||✓|
|Tools||HTML5, JS, CSS3||Adobe, Figma, Sketch, etc.|
(A summarised form of UI vs UX design)
While we talked about the key differences between UI and UX design, the ultimate purpose of both these design concepts is to serve the needs of the end users. Zazz, a leading mobile app development company, believed in creating optimal, efficient and innovative design solutions to meet the vision and goals of business owners. We have a deft team of UI and UX designers who are acing at delivering creative and secure user interface and user experience solutions for web and mobile application development.
The UI/UX design solutions we deliver are the best bet for startups, small businesses, and big firms alike. We believe in delivering dynamic interfaces that impart a delightful user experience and boost the customer engagement rate simultaneously. When you choose our UI UX app design services, rest assured that you will receive top-notch results and an attractive application. Our designers follow a well-structured UX process that aids them in crafting easy-to-use applications featuring high-quality user interfaces and impressive user experiences. If you wish to take this alliance forward, connect with our team to know more about app design services.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q.1 What is the key difference between UI and UX design?
UI design deals with architecting the app’s graphical layout including buttons, animations, screen layout, micro-interactions, transitions and much more. On the other hand, UX design encompasses analyzing and designing for the users’ interaction with the system while ensuring an intuitive and smooth experience for the users.
Q.2 What tools do you use in designing an app’s user interface?
At Zazz, our experienced team of creative designers are adept at leveraging state-of-the-art tools like Adobe, Sketch, Figma, InVision and many more.
Q.3 Will you delegate a separate UI UX team for my project?
Zazz is a vast team of 250+ professionals including engineers, app architects, technical managers, QA specialists, senior designers and many more. As soon as you give us the confirmation to partner with us, we will immediately delegate a separate team for your project.